Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bountiful Dumpster

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat our friend Gerald to the grocery store dumpster, which is basically a shopping cart filled with out-dated throwaways the store can't sell. This time Gerald loaded us up with about 30 pounds of onions, 5 pounds or so each of apples, plums and peaches, a slew of green, red, and yellow bell peppers, a bunch of tomatoes, grapes, and a few green onions.

So I've been busy! Busy making taco sauce, peach jam, plum jam and apple slices in a light honey syrup for making pies. It is such a good feeling to stand back and look at all that you've accomplished after a couple of long days standing at the stove working away to preserve such a wonderful bounty.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard about doing this.

    It seems like such a waste that they throw all that food away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of your jams and preserves -- they are so lovely. Without fail, I feel incredibly blessed each time I see canning jars with food. It just fills my heart because I know the love and hard work involved.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did good, Laurie! There was a day, many moons ago, that I 'dumpster dived' at the grocery store I worked at - so I would have food to eat...

    I sure wish I knew of a grocery store around here that got rid of that kind of stuff these days, for I sure would retrieve the goodness and make yummy things like you. :)

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked my local grocery store what they do with their fruits and veggies that don't sell. They basically told me that I should just buy the food....hmmmm. Is there a specific day most stores do this? Do they just dump it in the trash? Do you have to dig through ick? Sorry so much ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend either goes at night after the store has closed or extra early in the morning. Actually, the dumpster is a shopping cart and I think they intend for someone to take it. I guess you would just have to do some sleuthing to find out if any stores near you do that.

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to sign up or be a member to post a comment. Choose "anonymous" if you'd like to say something. I'd like to know who you are, so sign your name with your comment.